Sunday, March 8, 2015

Star's Molokai Adventure

I was hoping to spend a week in Lake Mead while Ben took a course there, but I decided it would be traitorous to leave my colleagues of the last six weeks during the last work week. I was rewarded by spending most of the last two days on Molokai. Although it's only a 35 minute flight from Maui, it's a journey into the past. Largely rural, with a population of only 7,000, it boasts of incredible mountains and waterfalls, farms and tiny villages, and native Hawaiians who would live nowhere else. I'm going back and taking Ben next time!

Molokai (from my 9 passenger plane):  These are
the highest ocean cliffs in the world.
 
Molokai Mountains

Kaluapapa, Former Leper Colony
and National Historic Park



Kaluapapa: Note the high mountains
designed to keep the lepers within the colony

Twilight from the Molokai Hotel



Sunset, South Molokai

No comments:

Post a Comment